Monday, July 14, 2008

The Mom Response

I love my mom, ya'll, but bless her heart she can be sort of 'earth to mom-ish' at times. I believe she has been thinking about our demands. I can see her head tilt like baroo? but being a human she says hmmmm. Then she tilts her head the other way and says, huuuuuuhhh.

We are fortunate it's been cooler here--10-15 degrees cooler so it's not so urgent at the moment to fulfill our demands. HOWEVER, I am not saying that outloud. While my mom was thinking this is what she did: SHE BURNT A TWINKIE.

OMD, did it stink!! She was warming up some hamburgers from our cook-out and didn't know (how could she not know?) that there was a twinkie hiding in the microwave. And she cooked it TWICE. Earth to mom!!!

We headed like crazy for the window to get some air!! We had to open all the windows and doors all for one stinkin' dead twinkie.

Later she went out to Wallyworld and bought this tiny little fan. She asked if I liked it and could that qualify for Demand #8? I sniffed it over. She wouldn't let me lift my leg on it to make it mine but I said it would do. Now she needs to go back and get 9 more! She flopped down in her Big Easy chair and huffed and said tomorrow.

Okaaaaay.

She did promise to try to get Handyman Phil out to fix the holey ducks this weekend. $200 a month on AC and the cold air's all going UNDER the house. Ack!! If it were up to me we'd be on those ducks like oily feathers!!

21 sniff-Arooos:

snoutbeagle said...

Dear Mom of River,

I DO love your stories! Always so funny and well-told. Seriously, how could you not know about the Twinkie in the microwave? I'm afraid River has a point!

I also wanted to tell you I very much admire all the rescue work you've done for beagles and other needy pups. Looking at your photos I see you are living my husband and my dream life – providing a home to LOTS of rescue beagles and loving them and keeping them safe. Both our boys are rescues but I think two is our limit with where we live and not having a fenced yard. I've always dreamed of a chocolate beagle though ... Mousse and Davoo are just lovely!

Keep up the good work and please post a photo of River's Elvis smile sometime. I kind of think Diesel does the same thing.

Take care,
Mum of Diesel and Marvin (a.k.a. Jackie)

River said...

From River's mom:
Thank you so much for your kind words. Beagles have been the greatest love of my life (which is like FIVE decades now). Yes, this was always my dream--a place where I could throw open the back doors and have a thundering herd run howling out into the yard. And I get to do that at least 3 times a day now. It's a dog house. I'd love to be able to do agility training like you do or any training but I'm not very good at it. The best I can do is train them to STAY. That's always a must. I do like reading about your hounds and their adventures! One day you'll have your dream for sure!
Stephanie

River said...

PeeEss from River's mom:
Oh, yeah. I DO store twinkies in the microwave so Summer the dalmatian doesn't get them off the counter. That's how come--or maybe they migrate after midnight or the mice hide them there...And as for that Elvis smile--it's so elusive. He will lift up the right side of his snout when he first sees me or when I say, REEVer. My camera doesn't work fast enough to catch it. But it's one of my goals in life. lol

Jans Funny Farm said...

We think your demands are quite reasonable. However.....

Your mom is obviously not huptooing them fast enough. We would suggest lighting a fire under her but you already have a heat problem. Perhaps if you melted some ice cubes under her instead?

We're glad you stopped by Sassy's to help celebrate her mom of the house's birthday.

Lacy said...

w00f's River and all, heehee me thot, twinkies in the microwave, watta up wiff that, till we readed more..and we sooo nos about holey ducks...our a/c not work, the kittys mama and daddy had tored up the intake/outake duck work...sooo now they need 2 very big ducks...

b safe,
~rocky~

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh that must have really stunk.. Sure glad mom went and got you some nice fans..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Samantha ~ Holly and Zac ~ said...

Hehe we don't know what a Twinkie is but it must spell pretty bad if you are all heading for the windows.

We love your Manifesto, very reasonable demands on there we think.

Woofs & Waggles,
Holly & Zac

Kess And Her Mama said...

Keep us posted as you check off the list! Burnt twinkies??? How could your mum??? What a waste of a good twinkie.

Lorenza said...

Hi, River!
My grandma hates the microwave because IT always burns her popcorn! Silly popcorn, don't you think?
I like that picture of you looking for fresh air!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

i said...

Hehehe...your mom sounds really earthy at times! Best you supervise her a lil' bit, River.

Charlie Daniels said...

Ducks! Aren't they related to Chickens!

Thanks for the laugh :-)

Cheers

Charlie

Toffee said...

Maybe your mom was overwhelmed with your duck problem? Maybe she was in deep thought about your Beagle manifesto??

BrandytheGreat said...

Ehh, burnt TWINKIE?
Oops, she was busy worrying about your other demands! Hee hee!

Princess Patches said...

Stinky twinkies! That's tooooo funny! Glad you got a fan to keep you cool!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

Nancy at the Farm said...

Hi River!

Your mom must be related to ours! Oh the stories we could tell! BOL! And we love the pictures of your pack! We're adding you to our list of favorite blogs! Can't see what happens when all your demands are met.

Love, Cooper, Dozer and Dottie

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Suzann's treats are much better than the sheep treats... You need to check them out..


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Snowball said...

The fan is the most needed appliances around the house during summer. I need to have a fan on around me all the time too. The weather is simply too hot.

Luv
Snowball

Thor and Jack said...

River!
I´m glad that you mom bought that fan for you!

woof
Thor

Sassy Kat said...

Hey it was great seeing you at the party! I hope we can get to know each other better and become friends.

The mom of the house has asked that I thank you for her for coming over to celebrate her special day, the birthday! She thought that it was nice to have a party for her but she was sad that she couldn't be there. She did enjoy seeing the photos and now has teleported back to her vacation. She sends you her love.

I am now busy getting ready for the Safari, as you can see by our outfits Momo, Opus, Roscoe and I are ready!
xoxoxo,
Sassy

Deefor said...

Hi River
That is a funny story. Things burn around here too. My mom liked the idea of using the microwave for storage. Maybe she can keep her knitting there so my little brother Arrow doesn't chew it.

Deefor

Dexter said...

How the heck does a twinkie get in the microwave. I think you need more than a fan. Sounds like mom has fried her brain.

Hope you cool off soon.

Slobbers,
Mango